What are the benefits of obtaining a permit?

The benefit of obtaining a permit is to ensure any work completed on your property meets the applicable codes and regulations and that the inspection will be provided by a certified Safety Codes Officer.

I am building a new house and the Municipality has issued the development permit, do I need any other permits?

In addition to the development permit, all other permits are required such as building, electrical, gas, plumbing and private sewage permits. These permits ensure that your construction is done in accordance with Provincial codes and the Safety Codes Act. Building without the proper permits and inspections can also lead to costly repairs in the future. Permits help ensure a building is constructed with a level of safety that protects the people within the building.

Is a development permit the same as a building permit?

No, a development permit is not the same as a building permit. A development permit allows a specific type of development on a specific parcel of land in the community to proceed with the zoning and development bylaws of the municipality. A building permit allows construction of buildings or structure to proceed on condition of compliance with the Alberta Building Code which addresses public safety and welfare.

When are building permits required?

Building permits are required for construction, alteration, repair, relocation, demolition, or change of use of any building. Certain farm buildings on land that is zoned for farming, and non-hazardous accessory buildings under 100 square feet, are exempt.

What you need to know about Alberta Builder License?

Currently under the New Home Buyer Protection Act, a building permit cannot be issued unless appropriate warranty coverage or an exemption from the coverage requirement is in place on the property. That process remains in place, and beginning December 1, 2017, the permit applicant is also required to provide proof of a builder license.

Permit issuers, accredited municipalities and accredited agencies can confirm an applicant’s license status by checking the applicant’s Registrar’s Certificate, their Certificate of License, as well as the builder registry at https://www.alberta.ca/builder-licensing.aspx

What you need to know about Alberta New Home Warranty? 1-2-5-10: Protection for every homebuyer

Alberta’s New Home Buyer Protection Act (NHBPA), which took effect in February 2014, reflects the Government’s desire to ensure all new homebuyers receive warranty protection, clear expectations and an ownership experience protected from unpleasant surprises – the benefits our Builder Members’ customers have been enjoying for over 40 years.

According to the new legislation:

  • Every homebuilder must provide proof of warranty coverage to obtain Alberta building permits
  • A Government-managed registry will provide public access to key dates and specific information about new home warranties
  • At a minimum, the warranty on each new home whose building permit application was submitted after February 1, 2014, will provide “1-2-5-10” coverage.
Can a journeyman electrician obtain an electrical permit?

No. You must be a master electrician to obtain a permit.

Can I request an extension on my permit?

On receipt of written application, a safety codes officer may, in writing, extend the term of the permit if the agency’s permit has not expired when application for extension is made.

Does my building permit cover the electrical, plumbing, and gas?

No. The building permit covers the required systems and locations of some electrical, plumbing and gas elements of the construction. Separate permits are also required for how the electrical, plumbing, gas and private sewage systems are installed.

When do I call for an electrical inspection?

Call for an electrical inspection a minimum of 2 business days prior to dry-walling.

What size of service is a homeowner able to install and obtain electrical permits for?

The amperage of the service or equivalent should not exceed 100 amps, and the system voltage can not exceed 300 volts unless the applicant can prove their proficiency to complete the work.

Do you charge extra for your inspections?

Re-inspection fees may be applied to your project when deemed appropriate and in accordance with the Municipal Fee Schedule. If you have any questions regarding these fees, please call our office to discuss your concerns.

As the homeowner, am I allowed to take out a permit (plumbing/private sewage, gas or electrical) for my contractor who is doing the work?

No, the certified installer is responsible to obtain the required permits to work on your home. This also helps protect you as the owner. If any unsafe condition is not corrected, an Order to Comply can only address parties who are identified on the permit application.

When does my permit expire?

The permit expires based upon conditions that are printed on your issued permit. If you have any questions about the conditions on your permit, please call our office to discuss your concerns.

I am relocating a manufactured home onto my property, why do I need a permit when it is a factory built home?

The home is to be constructed to the CSA and Alberta Labour Standards, however the foundation, crawlspace, stairs, deck, etc. need to be inspected in accordance with the Alberta Building Code. Also, life safety measures may be required to be brought up to current code when relocating a building.

Do I need a building permit to move a mobile home?

Yes, a building permit is required for the relocation of a mobile home. In order to ensure proper site preparation, foundation and anchorage.  Also, life safety measures may be required to be brought up to current code when relocating a building. You will also need Electrical, Plumbing and Gas permits for connections.

Do I need a permit to extend or replace my private sewage system?

Yes. Any renovation, addition or alteration to an existing private sewage disposal system requires a permit. When a system is changed it then must conform with the private sewage standard currently in effect.

I am homeowner acting as a general contractor for my new home. I want to take out all the permits myself but, I will be hiring trades-people for most of the work, is this acceptable?

Anyone can apply for the building permit, however unless you are completing the electrical, plumbing, gas and private sewage work yourself, the people contracted to complete the installations must take out their own permits. Ensure that you are hiring certified contractors. Having your contractor pull the applicable permits also helps protect you as an owner. If an Order to Comply was issued, it can only address parties who are on the permit.

How large of a garage can I build on a slab? And, do I need a permit for that?

The garage can be up to 55 square metres (approximately 600 sq ft) when located on a slab. Yes, you do require a building permit when building a garage.

Does a PWF (Preserved Wood Foundation) require the design of a professional engineer or registered architect?

No. As long as you strictly follow CAN/CSA – S406 “Construction of Preserved Wood Foundations.” If you deviate from this standard, you will require an Alberta Certified engineer to review what you propose to build and provide a stamped drawing for your specific project.

Do I require a permit to install a wood-burning stove?

Yes. A building permit is required for the installation of wood burning stove.

Do I require a gas permit to replace a residential furnace?

Yes, if there are alterations to the venting or gas piping, then a permit is required.

At what height do I require handrails on a deck?

If the deck is two feet in height from the ground, 36 inch high handrails are required with maximum spacing of 4 inches on verticals. If the deck is greater than 5’ 11” in height from the ground, handrails must be at least 42 inches high.

I received a Permit Services Report (PSR), what is it?

A Permit Services Report is usually attached to an inspection report and is a report advising you of the status of your installation. It indicates that The Inspections Group Inc. has completed compliance monitoring for that project, and that your permit is now closed. If you have any questions about your PSR please contact our office and we will be happy to address your concern.