Most major construction projects; including renovations, require permits under the Alberta Safety Codes Act. Depending on the Municipality you live in, The Inspections Group may provide some or all permit services for your area.
Friendly advice. Complete inspection services. Quick turnaround time. Competitive prices. The services of "The Inspections Group" are second to none!
- Commercial Buildings
- Industrial Buildings
- Institutional Buildings
- Residential Buildings
- Renovations or Additions
WHEN DO YOU NEED A BUILDING PERMIT?
Most types of construction projects require both a Development Permit along with a "Building Permit". This includes major renovations to existing buildings as well as construction of new buildings. Some minor types of renovations (e.g. replacing doors or windows in the same size frames, re-shingling roofs, etc.) may not require permits. If you are not sure if you need a permit for your project, call your local Municipality or The Inspections Group today.
- Development Permits are issued by your local Municipality to confirm that your proposed construction project meets Municipal zoning requirements for the specific location.
- Building permits are required under the Alberta Safety Codes Act to make sure the construction and use of the building or equipment will be safe. Building permits cannot be issued unless a Development Permit has been issued first.
WHAT DO YOU NEED BEFORE APPLYING?
Before applying for a Building Permit, make sure you have the following:
- A copy of your approved Municipal Development Permit
- The correct Municipal address or the legal description of the property (lot, block, plan, section, township, range)
- A copy of the site plan showing the size, shape and position of the proposed building on the lot or property
- At least two complete sets of plans for your building project including:
- A floor plan
- Elevation drawings
- Cross-section drawings
- Mechanical information
- Electrical information
- Professional endorsement (e.g. Engineer or Architect seal and signature, when required)
All construction plans will be reviewed by a qualified professional to verify that they meet the requirements of regulations adopted under the Safety Codes Act. Provided everything in your plans meets the requirements, a Building Permit may be issued!
OTHER TYPES OF PERMITS!
- Private Sewage Systems
The Alberta Safety Codes Act requires that installations of electrical, gas and plumbing (including private sewage disposal systems) be covered under permit and that they must be inspected.
The Inspections Group is accredited to issue permits and provide compliance monitoring in all disciplines under the Alberta Safety Codes Act. Our qualified safety code officers, will also check materials and appliances for compliance with recognized standards.
Our Safety Codes Officers will verify that proper methods of assembly are used and examine for proper identification before providing acceptance of installations.
HOW DO I APPLY?
Check with your local Municipality first to find out if they issue the required permits.
The Inspections Group is an Accredited Agency that can issue permits and conduct inspections in all disciplines under the Safety Codes Act.
The Inspections Group offers complete inspection services in all disciplines and that a qualified Safety Codes Officer will perform site inspections as required under the Safety Codes Act.
Call our office, at 1-866-554-5048 (toll free) from anywhere in Alberta for free consultation and to verify the appropriate permit issuer in your Municipality. In the Edmonton area, please give us a call at (780) 454-5048 or visit our office located at 12010-111 Avenue, Edmonton, Alberta.